Medical Checkups / Texas Health Steps
Texas Health Steps gives your child:
- Free regular medical checkups starting at birth
- Free dental checkups starting at 6 months of age
Texas Health Steps checkups:
- Find health problems before they get worse and harder to treat.
- Prevent health problems that make it hard for children to learn and grow like others their age.
- Help your child have a healthy smile.
Dental checkups should start at 6 months of age. Dental checkups should be done every six months unless the dentist needs to see your child more often. You do not need a referral from your primary care provider. Call Texas Health Steps at 1-877-847-8377 for help finding a dentist.
Children under 6 months of age can get dental services in an emergency.
First Dental Home (FDH) is for children from age 6 months to 3 years. Take your child to the dentist starting at 6 months of age and make this your child’s dental home
Medical checkups should be completed within the first 90 days of becoming an Aetna Better Health member. Getting regular Texas Health Steps medical checkups is important. Your doctor will need to know your health history and will want to make sure you are up to date on vaccines. You and your doctor can make a plan for any future care that might be needed.
Regular medical Texas Health Steps checkups for babies and toddlers are done within five days after leaving the hospital, and at 2 weeks, 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, 15 months, 18 months, 24 months and 30 months.
For older children, an easy way to remember when Texas Health Steps checkups are due is to make sure it is scheduled no later than 60 days after their birthday.
- Children – 3 years, 4 years, 5 years, 6 years, 7 years, 8 years, 9 years and 10 years
- Preteens, teens and young adults – 11 years, 12 years, 13 years, 14 years, 15 years, 16 years, 17 years 18 years, 19 years and 20 years
Texas Health Steps will send a postcard to let you know when your child or teen needs a Texas Health Steps medical or dental checkup. You can call us at the toll-free number on your ID card to learn more about when checkups are due.
You can get your checkup sooner if you are leaving the area. For more information, please call us at:
STAR - Bexar 1-800-248-7767, Tarrant 1-800-306-8612
STAR Kids - 1-844-STRKIDS (1-844-787-5437)
CHIP - Bexar 1-866-818-0959, Tarrant 1-800-245-5380
TTY/TDD - 1-800-735-2989