How to join CHIP
1. Check your eligibility
You can check your eligibility in one of these ways:
- Go to the Your Texas Benefits website and use the Prescreening Tool
- Call 2-1-1 (TTY 711) toll-free - 1-877-541-7905 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Central time
2. Apply for benefits
You can apply in one of these ways:
- Visit Your Texas Benefits website and choose Apply for new benefits
- Call 2-1-1 (TTY 711) toll-free - 1-877-541-7905 - Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Central time
- Print or request a paper form and submit it by mail
- Go to a Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) benefits office near you. Find one by calling 2-1-1 or visit the Find an office.
- Visit a community partner near you. Find a community partner.
3. Check your mail and choose your health plan
After your child is approved, you’ll get an enrollment packet in the mail. You need to choose a health plan or the enrollment broker will choose one for you. Call the enrollment broker at 1-800-964-2777 (TTY 711) to join Aetna Better Health of Texas.
We’re here to help! If you have questions, call Member Services at 1-800-245-5380 (Bexar and surrounding service areas); 1-866-818-0959 (Tarrant and surrounding service) or 1-800-735-2989 (hearing impaired).