Raising strong, healthy kids
Kids want to be free and play. They love to run, jump and climb. It makes them feel good. And the more they do it, the better they feel and the stronger they’ll be.
If your child is obese, he or she may not be able to play like other kids because of the extra weight. You can help your child lose weight and build strong muscles and bones by serving the right kinds of foods. Healthy foods are good for the whole family. They can also be delicious.
Is your child overweight or obese? Calculate the BMI (Body Mass Index) and find out.
What’s a healthy diet?
- Fruits and vegetables (5 servings a day)
- Lean meats, nuts and eggs
- Whole-grain breads and cereals
- Foods that are broiled, grilled, or steamed instead of fried
- Very little fast food and junk food
- Water or milk instead of sugary fruit drinks and sodas
95210 is a simple way to remember what your child needs.
- 9 hours of sleep – we now know that a child has a higher risk of becoming obese when they don’t sleep at least 8.5 to 9.5 hours a day. Younger children and teenagers need even more sleep
- 5 servings of fruits and vegetables. They’re not just great to build strong bodies: they can also keep your child away from junk food. Cut up fruit to serve as snacks
- 2 hours in front of the TV or computer – children should spend no more than 2 hours a day watching TV, on the computer, or sitting playing computer games. The more your child sits around, the easier it is to gain weight
- 1 hour or more of physical activity a day – the more time your child spends being active and moving around, the more calories he or she will burn
- 0 sugary drinks or sodas – drink water or milk instead
Physical activity can help your child’s body build muscle and strong bones. It also helps reduce fat. That cuts down on obesity. Children should get at least one (1) hour of exercise or physical activity every day.
Your child needs two things to grow up strong and healthy:
- Good food
- Physical activity
This can mean playing a sport, or simply playing with friends. Riding a bike, swimming, jumping rope, climbing trees and running are all great ways to exercise while having fun.